Sunday 6 July 2014

† 30 Day Lolita Challenge - Day 3 – 10 things you hate in lolita. †

† 30 Day Lolita Challenge† 
Day 3
† 10  things you hate in lolita † 



 
I. Nothing is practical.
Do not mistake me. I love lolita fashion but sometimes it is the most impractical thing to wear ever. Doing everyday tasks like cleaning up, walking around the house, sitting down, standing up- nearly everything is either impeded by the tightness of the dress, size of the petticoat, height of the shoes or created a public distress when you get caught on door handles, knock things off tables or block peoples way in shops.
 


 
II. Waiting for packages/ Cost of import.
Most of us lolita's in the UK have no choice but to order our beautiful frills from overseas, mainly from Japan or China. Due to this fact not only do we pay for high shipping but we have to wait nearly a month, sometimes more for our parcels to get here even if paid with EMS. Once your parcel gets to the UK HOHOHO the fun does not stop there, half the time you then have to be fee's on a parcel just for coming into the UK with an extra £8 handling fee from the postal service just for touching your parcel despite they would have touched it regardless. Heaven forbid your lolita stuff arrives and there is something wrong, because then you have to send it back which takes just as long so you can correct your order.
 
III. Second hand scalpers.
I am an extremely fair person when it comes to selling my lolita items. In fact I often sell my items cheaper than the original cost and/or include shipping. However the one thing I hate more than anything is a person buying something then trying to sell it for MORE than what they paid for it. (This does not include auctions)


Recently I had a mini pm debate with a girl who was trying to sell me the dress I was looking for. Since on original release this dress was about £30/£40-ish I was looking to pay at max £50 for it, since it is hard to find these days. Someone, this seller, pm'd me offering me the jsk I wanted. Well firstly it was in the white colorway instead of black but at least I could get close to what I was hunting for, so I asked the girl for her price...

She wanted nearly £100 for this second hand, damaged jsk! Turns out after a long chat, web links and proof of original cost that this girl in question had been scammed by another seller, who sold it to her for £140 by convincing her it was extremely rare!! (She is new to lolita) CRAZY! Luckily the girl had only just received it, did not like it and decided to send it back to her seller for a refund after I helped her learn she got scammed. 
 
TO UPDATE THIS, the girl got her refund~


 
IV. People who can not take constructive criticism.
 An odd statement yes? Well in lolita fashion there are many groups out there that allow you to share your outfits, on these group people share advice, opinions and give compliments on outfit's. When I first tried to wear lolita before I truly understood it I was scammed by a seller (Long story short but ebay seller sold me a fake for nearly £300) This then enforced me to learn the in's and out's of the fashion so I would never been scammed again. As well as this I learned how to meet the ascetics of lolita and despite it taking some time to "master" the basic look I did do so and this was with the help of some really helpful constructive criticism. I wish I had met people like this sooner, if I had I never would have been scammed the way I did and wouldn't have had such a painful ita (painful to the eyes) start to lolita.
 
So you want to see what I looked like before I actually took frilly advice correctly? THIS is a collection of my Worst Ita Phase pics vs my actually lolita look now. Not only is this face palm worthy but I can't help at laughing at myself like "Silly horse, that's not how you frilly up"

However on the point of this to me it enrages me when I see someone put an outfit up, ask for advice or put it up saying "open to concrit" on a constructive criticism webpage. So you may say something like;

"You look absolutely lovely, I adore that headdress on you and the jsk is really cute. However I do not think the shoes really go, maybe some black ones here would have looked a bit better~"
 
And then the respond like...
 
"FUCK YOU, I AM THE KAWAII SUGOI-NEH PRINCESS OF LOLITA. FUCK YOUR ADVICE EVEN THOUGH I ASKED FOR IT, I AM PERFECT SO SUCK MY BIG TOE FREAK! YOU SAYING THIS MEAN YOU ARE A RACIST, HOMOPHOBIC, CLAUSTROPHOBIC, TRANSMAPHOBIC BRAND WHORE AND YOU DROWN PUPPIES WHEN YOU WASH YOUR DRESSES! YOUR A PHILOSOPHER PEDOPHILE BUTT MUNCHER" 
 
 
 
Of course I am exaggerating on this but it does actually happen. You'll find most people are so lovely and go "Thank you for the advice" but there are the few who ask advice, get a lovely response and then treat you as if you are worse than Hitler. If you ask for advice and can't take it, don't ask for it.
 
V. Brand over a good coordinate.
This is something that a few people have been chatting about lately and I 100% agree. Just because you have brand does not mean you will look instantly good. I myself have felt the burn of not being able to pull off a brand item. I think having a good outfit is more important than brand, but if you can fully rock the brand do it~
 
 
VI. Unreliable dress sizes.
 
Picture it like this. 
You buy a dress, the sizing seems get. It then arrives and is not the same measurements. 
You pay for a custom dress, the measurements are off.
You buy a 2nd hand dress and get the measurements from a legit source, it arrives too large.

To me there is nothing more annoying than a dress that does not match the measurements provided. I have started to buy larger dresses or send in slightly larger measurements for custom garments just so it is a little easier. Of course this does not always happen but ATM it has happened to me a few times.
 
 
VII. LAYERS!
As a slightly changed quote from Shrek "Lolita's are like Onions"and each lolita coordinate has a certain amount of layers to it. Example.


So when you think about it it can be a lot to wear just for one outfit. For me the most commen outfit layout from top to bottom is;
  • Wig/ Half Wig
  • Hair Accessories - Headbow, tiara, bows, clips, etc...
  • Necklace/Neckwear - Choker, chains, pearls etc...
  • Under Garments.
  • Vest top.
  • Blouse/Cutsew.
  • Jsk or Onepiece.
  • Petticoat. This can be 2 depending on the amount of poof needed.
  • Shorts/hotpants (I do not wear bloomers)
  • Tights/Socks.
  • Shoes/Boots.
  • Bag and Parasol.
And with all these layers I tend to have a full bag and sometimes a small/medium tote bag if I am carrying things for friends, going shopping or shipping a sold item. To me it makes sense why lolita's get extremely exhausted and strip everything off as soon as they get home.
 

VIII. Forceful lolita partners.
This isn't for everyone but I have seen some crazy and batty lolita girlfriend's out there. I once saw a girl publicly say "My boyfriend doesn't want to match with me in lolita. I am going to dump him because he refuses to wear a dress to twin with me! He is SO MEAN TO ME" Like for real. I made this quick meme about the experience this person has with her boyfriend.
 

 
 
 
IX. I am a fussy customer.
 Like most people on this world everyone has certain tastes but their are a few annoying people who are so picky that pleasing them seems to take a marathon of a task. I am one of those said shoppers and I am very hard to shop with when it comes to buying things for myself. Every single dress I own, yes I love them but each of them I see flaws as they are not 100% to my liking. I am just a fussy pain who can't be easily pleased when it comes to lolita.
 
 
X. Coordinate Photographs.
 Just like shopping I am fussy with photo's to and find that I usually have to take a lot of photo's before I pick the one I am happy with. Take 30 photos and I will most likely just use 3 of them. I am a girl who does not look good from all angles and to me and unflattering photo can make or break a coordinate. 


These two photo's here for example, for me they are both nice but one is better than the other. They are extremely similar however one of the photo's happens to be more flattering than the other, it me it is about the angle of the face, the potion of the photo and the comfort of the body. If these 3 key things are not in balance for me, I will take more photo's until I find the most flattering one.



On to Question 4,
Pleasant Dreams †

No comments:

Post a Comment